Where Do I Start?
Feeling the need to get organized doesn't necessarily mean you know where to begin. So here are some tips to end the frustration.
1. Write down the changes that you feel need attention. Make a list of everything you want to achieve then take a break. Once you write down the areas in your home or office that want to change, you will feel a sense of accomplishment. You have now defined your goals.
2. Next, break down those larger goals into smaller increments. For instance, if you want to downsize a closet, consider going through your shoes or hats. Or if you are planning on reorganizing your kitchen, start with one drawer or one cupboard. These smaller goals are much easier to face and easier to accomplish in a shorter amount of time.
3. Prepare for your task. Gather the right tools you may need like; trash bags, gloves, markers, dust rags or containers. Create a convenient space to store your materials so you won't have to hunt them down during your project.
4. Next, set a realistic schedule for you to work on your smaller goals. Plan around your prior commitments looking for time you can truly devote to each project. Scheduling 15 or 20 minutes, initially, will bring immediate gratification and a desire to move forward on another project. Once you have decided on a schedule, keep it. Treat your organizing project with the same priority as any other event. Procrastination never accomplishes anything.
5. Once you have your plan, turn on some music and take a picture of the area you are intending to work on. Start your project, finish at your appointed time, step back and take another picture and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
It's as simple as that!